New categories that have been added to the Urban Fiction Resources page are Youtube Channels and Podcast (just one, but it needed its own category!).
Some of the websites and blogs that I’ve added are no longer being updated and I’ve noted so under the links. These websites and blogs still have information that might be useful to your information needs, have current links in them for further resources, or provide an archival purpose.
Below is everything new that has been added:
- Sinister Wisdom – Winter 2003/4 – Issue 61 – “women loving women in prison”
- Pace Law Library’s Prisoners’ Rights Law Resources
- “A gateway to information on prisoners’ rights, including federal, state, and international primary and secondary sources, in print and online, with a particular focus on special populations and topical issues.”
Prison Librarianship Blogs:
- INFO CZARINA’s Information Needs of Prisoners: An Annotated Bibliography
Prison Librarianship Books, Articles, and Journals:
- Australian Library and Information Association. Australian prison libraries: minimum standard guidelines. Canberra: Australian Library and Information Association, 1990.
- Boston, John and Daniel Manville. Prisoners’ Self-Help Litigation Manual. 4th ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2010.
- Dalton, Phyllis I. Library Services to Correctional Facilities in Other Countries. Library Trends. Summer 1977. 97-117.
- Guidelines for easy-to-read materials, Revision. International Federation of Library Association and Institutions IFLA Professional Reports, No. 120. 2010.
- Ingersoll, Jared. “Romanov’s University”: Libraries, Books, and Learning in Imperial Russian Prisons. Indiana Slavic Studies. 16 (2006): 113-29.
- Lehmann, Vibeke. Prison Librarians Needed: A Challenging Career For Those With the Right Profession and Human Skills. IFLA 1999 Bangkok Conference Proceedings. (20-28 Aug 1999).
- Lehmann, Vibeke and Joanne Locke. Guidelines for library services to prisoners, 3rd Edition. International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions IFLA Professional Reports, No. 92. 2005.
- Omagbemi, Clement and Abiodun Odunewu. An Appraisal of Library Services Provision to Prison Inmates in Nigeria. Information, Society and Justice. 1.2 (June 2008): 245-54.
- Reese, Diana and Blair Austin. Standards in Colorado Correctional Libraries: Uniting Service and Security. Colorado Libraries. 33.1 (2007): 26-9.
- Rubin, Rhea Joyce and Daniel Suvak. Libraries Inside: A Practical Guide for Prison Librarians. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 1995.
- Shirley, Glennor. Library Services to Adult Prisoners in the United Sates. Libreas: Library Ideas. (Mar 2006).
- Walden, Diane. Breaking the Cycle: Prison Reading Program Encourages Literacy. Colorado Libraries. 30.4 (Winter 2004).
Prison Librarianship Youtube Channel:
- American Library Association
- Doesn’t focus on prison librarianship, but may be of interest due to library videos in general
Urban Fiction Article:
- Carpenter, Susan. Not Just For Kids: A Lifeline for Struggling Teen Readers. Los Angeles Times. 17 June 2012.
- Article on new easy reader series.
- Talley, Erin A. You’re Not Really Black Until You’ve Been Shot — Or So Says Urban Fiction. MA Thesis. Eastern Illinois University. 2010. Paper 314. On-line.
Urban Fiction Blogs:
- 30 Days of Street Lit on Megan Honig’s Blog
- no longer being updated
- Miss Domino’s Blog
- and her wiki: PhatFiction Wiki
- PHAT Fiction Blog
- Urban Fictive
Urban Fiction Youtube Channels:
Urban Fiction Podcast:
Urban Fiction Websites:
- Collection Development “Urban Fiction”: Streetwise Urban Fiction
- Good Read’s Urban Fiction Lovers Group
- Libraries Unlimited’s Reader Advisory E-Newsletter – Urban Fiction Edition
- By Jessica Zellers, December 2007
- Teens Love It, Some Librarians Loathe It. Welcome to the World of Urban Lit.
- Teen Urban Fiction Pathfinder
- PhatFiction Wiki
- Urban Book Cinema
- Urban Book Source
- Urban Literature Pathfinder
- no longer being updated
- Urban Fiction Wiki
- What’s Hot in Street Literature? by K. C. Boyd, Librarian at Chicago Public Schools